Young people today face a new world of challenges and opportunities. SMART Moves is an effective and unique way for youth-serving organizations to help prepare children to meet these challenges. It is a creative, fun learning experience that provides girls and boys ages 6 to 9 with the knowledge and skills they need to grow into confident, healthy teenagers and realize their full potential.
The primary goal of SMART Moves is to provide children with the knowledge, skills and self-esteem to help them avoid risky behaviors and situations, including involvement with alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
The main messages:
- Our bodies are priceless possessions that allow us to accomplish our dreams.
- Young people should avoid risky behaviors and situations, including involvement with alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
What SMART Moves provides:
- Accurate, age-appropriate informaion about alcohol and other drugs
- Self-awareness activities to develop respect for one's own body, ability to handle feelings and healthy habits
- Activities to develop the ability to interact and work in groups
- Practice in decision-making, problem solving and planning ahead
- Training in refusal techniques useful for avoiding risky situations, including those involving drugs